I’ve decided to start learning Turkish. This isn’t my first foreign language. Before you begin, realize that ANYONE can learn a language. I use to think I’m stupid with languages, but read about how I got out of my shell.
So WHY TURKISH?
- An exposure to Middle Eastern language. Potential stepping stone
- Turkey is the link between Middle East, Europe, and Asia. Very important economically
- Spoken by 75 million people
- Turkey is important politicaly, as it’s a key US ally in the Middle East and is trying to join NATO
- It’s just fun! I already know three Romance languages, so I want to try something new.
This blog is not only for helping people who are starting Turkish, but for keeping an account of my journey so I don’t quit easily. So if you want to learn it, jump in and follow! I will update my progress everyday, including exact exercises I use. I know no Turkish right now, so we’ll be in this boat together!
Each day, I will include specific missions that I want to achieve on that day. These missions are very simple and well defined. After a while, these goals will eventually lead you to fluency.
The goal is to be able to converse in Turkish after 4 months! LET’S START!